Strategic Communication Career FairHelping students build industry connections
When it comes to landing that first job after graduation, the knowledge and real-world experience strategic communication students gain in the classroom gives them a competitive advantage. That’s why every February, some 50 major advertising agencies, corporate communication and marketing departments, and public relations firms travel to campus specifically to meet with our students during the Strategic Communication Career Fair.
Top recruiters from across the country make the trip because they’re looking to fill internship and full-time positions. Uniting students with these recruiters is an important step to help students build the connections that can open future doors of opportunity. In addition, meeting with recruiters helps students become more confident in their interviewing skills. It also gives them an opportunity to receive feedback on their resume and portfolios from an industry professional perspective.
The annual event is planned and executed by members of MOJO Ad, the premier, student-staffed professional services integrated marketing communication agency at the Missouri School of Journalism. The event is only open to registered strategic communication juniors, seniors and graduate students.
Students and recruiters can keep updated with the current academic year Strategic Communication Career Fair through the MOJO Ad site.
How should I prepare?
- Register for the Strategic Communication Career Fair on the MOJO Ad site. Note that registration is required to attend.
- Update and print copies of your resume.
- Visit the MOJO Ad site for a list of attending companies and open positions.
- Create a list of the companies that are interviewing for positions you are interested in.
- Do some background research to demonstrate that you’re genuinely interested and knowledgeable about the company. What makes you a good fit for the organization and the position?
- Take advantage of the workshops leading up to the career fair.
- Make sure you have appropriate clothing and shoes for the career fair.
What should I wear to the career fair?
Dress business professional. Choose something that makes you feel confident. A suit is appropriate but not necessary. Nice slacks, a collared shirt and tie work well for men. Women can wear slacks or a skirt and nice blouse. Avoid excessive jewelry and anything that is too revealing. Closed-toe shoes are best for women.
What do I need to bring to the career fair?
- Eat a good breakfast. It’s important for you to look and FEEL your best.
- Bring copies of your resume and your portfolio (optional).
- Do NOT bring your cell phone. If you have it with you, be sure to turn it off before entering the room.
What should I do when I'm at the career fair?
- Sign in and get your name tag.
- Approach recruiters with confidence and a sense of purpose. Give a firm handshake and maintain eye contact throughout the conversation.
- Tell the recruiter which position you are interviewing for. This is very important.
- Demonstrate why you are an excellent candidate for the position. Share examples of your work. Talk about relevant professional and extracurricular activities.
- Collect business cards and/or contact information so that you can follow-up after the event.
What should I do after the career fair?
- Document your experience. Create a list of companies and contact information for recruiters that you’re most interested in.
- Write thank you notes. In addition to being polite, this is an excellent way to show you are enthusiastic about the opportunity and understand how to act professionally.