Sports and Entertainment Promotion
Professional athletes, sports teams and entertainers are like any other brand that seeks the attention of consumers. They need the help of a savvy marketer who understands how to promote them as commodities. Welcome to the exciting world of sports and entertainment promotions. Although this particular form of promotion bears some resemblance to traditional advertising and marketing, there are many differences as well — including a lot more glitz and glamour!
The sports and entertainment business industry is one of the largest and fastest growing in the U.S. It includes not only major sports organizations, but also music, film, theater, television, cable and other entertainment properties. Every one of these enterprises needs good promoters.
Through the sports and entertainment promotion interest area of strategic communication, students will build on the solid foundation developed through the required core courses. The interest area’s specialized elective courses are specifically designed to teach students how to tailor their skills to the unique needs of the sports and entertainment industry. Being able to use fundamental marketing and promotional skills is key and is stressed in the coursework.
This undergraduate interest area is supported by courses from the fields of communication, economics, accounting and business. It is designed to prepare students for further graduate study or a variety of career and leadership opportunities in sport business and entertainment promotions and account management.
Skill sets valued in sports entertainment and promotion
- A post-graduate diploma or degree in a related field
- A passion for the sports or entertainment industry in which you work
- Two to three years of experience in sports/event marketing
- Experience organizing public and social events with clients and customers
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, a design program and the internet
- Excellent communication skills — listening, verbal, written and presentations
- Strong ability to work as part of a team
- Initiative and independent problem-solving ability
- Ability to handle many tasks at once and operate in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with social media, including but not limited to Facebook and Twitter
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends